Healthy, Delicious Gluten-Free Zucchini Pizza Crust
Pizza is an all-time favorite with just about everyone. Although traditional crusts are typically gluten-heavy, many vegetable variations have been created in recent years to accommodate those who are gluten-free or those who simply want a healthier option.
Don't forget to top the pizza with healthy vegetables, pesto sauces, organic meats and other favorites. There is really no end to how creative pizza-makers can become with the alternatives available today. Just about every taste can be satisfied with the wide availability of high-quality healthy ingredients available.
Most vegetable-based crust recipes can be a bit challenging to work with on their own. However, using parchment paper and a steady hand can make it easier than ever.
Zucchini Pizza Crust Recipe
- 3 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1 to 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbs. brown rice flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Pesto sauce
- Sprinkle grated zucchini with salt and toss.
- Let the zucchini sit for about an hour to release any remaining moisture.
- Strain through a cheesecloth and squeeze to dry zucchini as much as possible.
- Place zucchini in a bowl and add flours, eggs, nutritional yeast, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Stir well.
- Place a pizza stone or a parchment-lined baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle a large sheet of parchment paper with olive oil.
- Spread zucchini dough onto parchment and shape into a 10-inch round crust that is about half an inch thick.
- Move to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add pesto sauce.
- Bake on the top rack for an additional five to seven minutes.
- Top with arugula, ground pepper, lemon juice or lemon zest if desired and enjoy.